Annual Security Report: 10 Questions to Ensure Compliance
June 28, 2018
While tedious and time-consuming, preparing your institution’s Annual Security Report (ASR) is critical in demonstrating your school’s compliance with the Clery Act. Inaccuracies in the ASR—which must contain crime statistics and numerous statements of policy, procedure, and programming—and other Clery compliance deficiencies can result in review and oversight by the U.S. Department of Education (ED), fines (currently $55,907 per violation), and reputational damage.
Don’t wait to get your ASR ready for the October 1 deadline. Take steps now to protect your institution and ensure an accurate and compliant ASR by considering the following questions:
- Does our Clery geography align with guidance from the Clery Handbook, including any recent updates?
- Have we requested crime statistics from local law enforcement agencies with jurisdiction over our Clery geography?
- Have we followed up with campus security authorities on whether they have criminal incidents to report?
- Is our Daily Crime Log up to date and available upon request?
- Are we using the outdated categories of “sex offenses: forcible” and “sex offenses: non-forcible”?
- Are we applying the hierarchy rule correctly when disclosing crime statistics?
- Are the crime statistics we are disclosing to ED online consistent with the statistics we publish in the ASR?
- Have we started gathering (and updating as necessary) the required statements of policy, procedure, and programming? Do these statements contain the level of expected detail as outlined in the Clery Handbook?
- If we are a multiple-campus institution, do we publish an ASR for each campus?
- If we have on-campus student housing, are we complying with Clery requirements on fire safety, which includes publishing an Annual Fire Safety Report?
Clery compliance is ongoing and often administratively burdensome. The Clery Compliance Toolset (CCT) addresses these challenges through one, easy-to-use system for developing policies and procedures, logging incidents, and generating your ASR.
For additional information about the CCT or to request a free demo, contact Brenda Tappan at btappan@CanopyPrograms.org or (866) 722-6679.